[WIP] Visualizing a RedFish Mockup Jun 1, 2021 16:47:34 GMT
Post by suichen on Jun 1, 2021 16:47:34 GMT
I'm working on some small viz tool for my own learning of the RedFish API. The purpose is to become a bit more familiar with RedFish and to know what to ask for when working on software on this stack.
I did some quick search on existing visualizers for RedFish and found the following:
- github.com/gaberger/redfish-visualizer, this one is written Clojure, a language I'm not familiar with at all
- The DMTF Tech Note has an illustration of a visualized resource map which is close to what I want
- There are research papers on visualization of data centers which is one level higher than what I'm looking for (1 RedFish instance vs whole data center; 1 point in time vs continuous monitoring) but provides some inspiration on the visual side. (usage of color palettes and UI gadgets etc)
- There are numerous works on visualizing XML trees. RedFish resources similarly exhibits in a tree-like structure with links (like "managed by") so this approach might apply
- Spatial partitioning is used to visualize a treemap by WinDirStat.
By looking at the above I started doing following:
- Use Electron to build an app, since it's backed by NodeJS, has many libraries for parsing XML and JSON, two frequently-seen formats in RedFish, and can work with locally-stored files
- Use mockups generated by the RedFish Mockup Creator as input
- Use p5js for rendering mostly because I'm familiar with its usage
Some features on my wish list:
- Interactively view a RedFish snapshot
- Visualize a RedFish mockup in radial layout (somehow similar to twopi)
- Visualize a RedFish mockup in spatial partitioning layout (somehow similar to WinDirStat)
- Be able to compare 2 RedFish snapshots side-by-side and show their difference (mainly to assist with development)
- Cram as much information as possible in the viz
- Something else?